So this is a post for the guys (or gals) who are lucky enough to share their home and lives with a vintage loving lady. These strong, unique and fabulous women can, however, possess a certain number of initially puzzling habits and seemingly challenging characteristics. So find here a beginner’s guide to understanding and happily co-existing with the special kind of woman known as a “pinup girl” . As the old saying going “Happy wife, happy life!”… right?
Sometimes the pinup in your life may do some strange and even painful looking things… like this..
DO NOT BE ALARMED!!
This is normal! (Mostly)
You may also encounter this…
Don’t worry, it won’t look like this when it’s finished!
And sometimes this…
No, it doesn’t hurt, and yes, it would be easier if you helped!
There is a thing called a hair rat. And no, you don’t want to see it. When putting on vintage shapewear she may look like she is trying to wrestle with her inner demons (literally) but once shapewear has been installed it is quite stable. Although even though she professes it is “absolutely comfortable”, you may need to be of assistance during an outing (especially if food and beer is involved) with removing this item of ultra comfort double quick.
In Her World
- Appreciate that hair, makeup and outfit styling is not just trying to “look fancy”, it’s an interest, skill, and hobby. Just like sports. Or playing music. Or model trains. Or whatever floats YOUR boat 🙂
- So at a stretch, you could compare mastering a new vintage hair style to say… winning a game. There is a thrill of accomplishment there!
- It’s natural to want to share and discuss things with people of similar interests… and you may share the vintage and rockabilly love… or not (don’t worry, she loves you anyway 😉 ) But she may enjoy connecting with others with similar interests on social media!. Unless she won’t leave her media device to eat and sleep, this probably normal!
- There is this very real dilemma of shoes that compliment an outfit perfectly and make her pins looks ultra svelte, and shoes she can actually walk and dance in. She will almost always choose the former. And it is very unlikely that spare flats will fit in her coordinating handbag. Be patient, walk slowly, and make sure you have a taxi number on speed dial.
Do These Things to Get Extra Points
- Offer to zip/unzip your lady’s dress (Who wants to admit they can’t pee without help?)
- Ditto with helping clip stockings
- Learn the difference between eyeliner and mascara. If you are REALLY brave, you could get a glimpse of the skill required to use such tools of the trade, like these guys
Accept The Things I Cannot Not Change
- Some things will never be equal. Like closet space. And time spent getting ready.
- Accept that she needs much much much space for her “collection” of dresses, accessories, shoes, handbags and many other items the purpose of which may confuse you. A “Ward-room” is ideal for this!
- Even the best lipstick will transfer, think of that lippy on your face and clothing as little “stamps of love”
- No matter how many clothes she has, there will come times when she has “nothing to wear”
- If she asks you “do like this… or this better?”… Don’t say “both” or “yes”. Just choose!
- But of course, don’t be offended when she inevitably chooses the other. It’s not you. Sometimes making a decision is hard, and one needs a little extra data to go on. Or even just a human sounding board…
- Such a creative person may be taken by fits of inspiration and be known to make messes of epic proportions…
It May Be A Good Idea To
- Tell her she looks nice! Whether it’s casual and natural, or glammed up, your ladies’ style is part of her creative expression. It doesn’t matter if you have said it a million times before. It still feels just as wonderful, promise. You don’t have to be an expert in vintage fashion, just notice.
- Get 2 bathrooms. Actually maybe just a bigger house.
I hope you enjoyed this post, I would love to hear what your advice would be! And please comment with any funny stories, those are my favourite!
Lorelei Louise xx